Sunday, May 6, 2012

Indian Rice and Curry

My grandparents were missionaries for the Salvation Army and my mother was born in India. This dish was a staple in our family and also a prerequisite for anyone wanting to marry me. Luckily, Rocketman loved it. Our kids love it too.
Rice and Curry

1 frying chicken cut into pieces(I use 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts. It's up to you what you want to use)
2 heaping Tbsps. of shortening (Crisco)
1 medium onion, minced
2 heaping Tbsps. curry powder
1 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4-6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/2 c. milk
Juice of 1/2 lemon or 1 Tbsp. Real Lemon juice

1. Melt the shortening in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and curry powder until the onions are translucent. Put flour, salt and pepper into a ziplock bag and shake well to mix.
3. Add chicken and shake to coat. Add chicken to pot and brown lightly. Watch so the chicken doesn't stick to the pot.
4. Add about a quart of hot water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and let simmer for an hour.
5. Add potatoes, bring to a boil again until the potatoes are done, about 30 minutes.
6. Add lemon juice and milk. Stir and simmer a few minutes. Add additional salt to taste, if desired. I usually add 1-2 teaspoons.
7. Serve over cooked rice.
8. My mom would serve it with bananas as condiments. She also would add green tomatoes somewhere up above but I don't know where. I've never done that because I'm not a big fan of green tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment