This is our daughter's favorite cookie, bar none! It's mine too and it's really healthy because of all the oatmeal in it (not really) but don't spoil it for me.
1 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
2. Stir in sugar and oats.
3. Cut in shortening and butter till crumbly.
4. Combine 2 tablespoons cold water and vanilla: sprinkle over mixture mixing until moistened.
5. Shape into two logs 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in wax paper and chill.
6. Slice thinly.
7. Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
Makes six dozen.